mardi 5 juin 2007
A Heat to Sufficate a Small Animal
So I have safely arrived in Marrakech. I am staying in my friend's uncle's apartment which is modest but comfortable. I'm in the heart of the 'nouvelle ville' within walking distance of cafés, supermarkets, restaurants, and any thing else one could need. It has probably pretty clearly been a big adjustment, the heat being the most overwhelming factor. The first night that I was here it was still 35 degrees at 7 o'clock in the evening. I drink as much water as I can and stay out of the sun during the hottest times of the day but find myself still getting light-headed and in a general sense of not-really-sure-what's-going-on-ness. The most comfortable hours of the day are when the sun goes down and so I have been staying up until about one in the morning; the sun however is hot enough to be uncomfortable at 7 am and I consequently have been getting little sleep. It means that I do quite a lot during the day, spending a lot of time reading, writing, and thinking. I hope to share some of my insights with you as and when the occassion arises. This is a fascinating city and time in Moroccan history, I have no doubt. Apart from not really sleeping, a condition I am fairly used to, I also find that the dry desert climate lends itself to nose bleeds - pretty, but true. Luckily it will only get hotter.
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire