I spend a lot of time alone and consequently a lot of time thinking and writing. I hope to share of my thoughts and insights in this forum. I may only take extracts of what I've written as some of my entries are quite long.
I went to the orphanage Tuesday to meet the girls and Wednesday to start working with them. My initial visit is something that I shall remember forever. As I walked through the doors separating the girl's from the boy's areas, I saw a chaotic scene of girls filling buckets with water and releasing their contents on the closest suspecting person. Upon seeing me they stopped what they were doing, though their smiles did not fade, and waited excitedly as I crossed the courtyard. I was greeted by a flurry of hugs and kisses and was then led by the hand to change so that I could partake in their game.
Never in my life have I felt so instantly welcomed or accepted. This feeling, so simple and so sincere, will stay with me no matter where I go after this.
We are now in a state of uncertainty as we try to figure out how share with one another despite that we don't really speak that same language. They are attempting to teach me arabic while I work with them on their french. It will be difficult but everyone seems open and excited and ready to work to find a way to communicate.
Already there are things that I find extremely difficult to understand or make sense of. The orphanage, while beautifully constructed and landscaped, is very simple and a testament to the poverty that is the reality for these girls and so many others. When I washed my hands before eating I was surprised to discover that while the water flows there are no pipes to catch it and it therefore runs all over the floor. They shared their lunch with me, a very modest potato and olive dish, which I ate with my hands (my right hand once being corrected, as the left hand is for the bathroom). And the bathroom is one toilet with no seat, no flushing mechanism, and no toilet paper. One begins quickly to use one's hands as one should as there is little alternative.
From my very first contact with these girls it was clear that though they did not have much they would gladly and without malace give all that they could; what they do not have in material possessions they abundantly make up for with things that can not be bought in any store: laughter, joy, openness, tenderness, patience, and happiness.
The water is everywhere. It flows between us and reunites us. We are all permeated with what we can not see but only feel and it is all around us and it is something that we all share.
jeudi 7 juin 2007
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)
1 commentaire:
so, let's go to use shakespeare's language ....
well...it seems you'll face the gap between those who own and have dry feet those who don't
...fortunately the human nature is not degraded by the material lacks ....
on the contrary...maybe it generates human feelings that disappear in our societies...solidarity, humility, generosity.
Enregistrer un commentaire